As you can guess from the title, I told my manager at work about my Bipolar today. Granted I told the person I work closest with first, but this was the first time someone in charge of me knew. I just wanted to update you all on how things have been since.
It surprisingly went very well! I have had nothing but positivity from my manager, as well as the girl I told. I feel as if a weight has been lifted off my chest. I have been in this role for 5 months and found out about my Bipolar about 3 months ago. I found I was taking days off because of the depression and I was using holiday from psychiatrist appointments.
I wanted to write a list on everything that have changed since I told work.
- I no longer have to use holidays for appointments, my work is more than happy for me to leave a 3 if I can get evening appointments of tart late if I can get early morning appointments.
- I don’t feel so pressured to keep up the manic workload when I’m depressed. Anyone who knows me at work will know that when I’m manic I will take on 20 projects and be super enthusiastic about everything. Come the depression cycle and I don’t want to know but still had to try like I cared.
- I’m not scared if anyone finds out anymore. I was always scared that people would judge me when they found out and treat me differently, but no one has. People at management still trust me incredibly.
- I’m less nervous during the depression cycle. My manager has said if I even need a day off because of it its perfectly fine and just to email her… I’m shocked that a work place takes mental illness as serious as physical illnesses.
- I’m no longer scared that Bipolar has changed me. I have had nothing but praise from my manager regarding my work and she even said she wouldn’t have known I was in depression because my work has always been at a great standard!
So, all in all my life isn’t to bad at the moment with Bipolar. I’m on medication now which has sent me sky high with mania, I’ll write a post about this later down the line. I don’t want to say how I feel until I’ve been on it for a while, I also have a feeling that I’m going to be switching medication because my mania is so high. I know because I got myself into a little financial crisis this week (I refuse to touch my savings) and if you know me personally you know I’m incredibly careful with money – Not this week!
Let me know in the comments if you’ve told your workplace about your health condition and if so how did it go?